Bled Strategic Forum and the Centre for European Perspective are delighted to invite you to join us for a discussion
Western Balkans: Where do we go from here?
5 July 2022, 9.45–11.00
Although historic on many accounts, the last European Council, especially in taking bold decisions and granting candidate status for Ukraine and Moldova, somehow failed to acknowledge the strategic importance of the Western Balkans in the new geopolitical reality in Europe. Even though the European perspective was once more underlined as a guiding principle and policy, nothing was done to back up the words with concrete actions and decisions. The region once more felt disappointed and left out. There is a growing feeling among citizens and political elites in the Western Balkans countries that enlargement is a dream slowly turning into a nightmare. If we add unsolved political and security issues, the growing influence of third actors, the lack of necessary reforms, the economic crisis around the corner and the persistent migration crisis, we can see why many are worried about the likelihood of a peaceful and sustainable future for the region.
Over the years, Kosovo has seen its share of disappointments regarding the EU integration process. The potential and perspective remain, but this is not enough.
- What should be done to unlock it and move the country closer to the EU?
- Where do we go from here? Is there still a possibility to turn things around?
- What must be done from the side of the EU and what from the side of the region?
- Should we think about new approaches and ideas, such as a political community, to jumpstart something that is now clearly in crisis?
- H.E. Dr Vjosa Osmani-Sadriu, President of the Republic of Kosovo
- Mr Vojko Volk, State Secretary for International Affairs, Office of the Prime Minister of the Republic of Slovenia
Moderated by Mr Peter Grk, Secretary General, Bled Strategic Forum
Programme of the event:
9.45 Gathering and coffee break
10.00 Arrival of H.E. Dr Osmani-Sadriu, President of the Republic of Kosovo
10.00-11.00 Panel discussion
*Disclaimer: The on-site discussion will take place at Jable Castle, Grajska cesta 1, 1234 Mengeš. On-site participation will be possible for the first 50 RSVPs. Participants who have been selected to attend the discussion live will be notified the day before the event by email. Participants can also follow the discussion online via Zoom platform or on the BSF Facebook profile.